Administrator Guide to Rights and Group Administration
The CivicPlus system uses several layers of rights and all rights are assigned at the group level. Individual users cannot be assigned rights. In order for an individual user to have rights to any area of the website they must belong to a group. You can create the group first and add the users to the group as you create them, or vice versa. The CivicPlus system allows you to vary the level of rights between pages and modules for your groups so you can tailor your permissions to your needs.
The CivicPlus system uses groups to assign rights. You cannot set rights at the user level, even if there is just one person with the assigned rights they must have a group. When setting up your group you need to decide on the following items:
- What level of rights should this group have on pages and modules?
- Which pages should this group have rights?
- Which module categories do they need rights?
- Who belongs in this group?
CivicPlus Rights and Permissions
Your CivicPlus content management system has four levels of rights:
- Pages: Admins have rights to all pages.
- Modules: Admins have the rights to all modules. They also have the ability to create new users and groups. Additionally they have rights to the admin functions available on the website.
- Pages: Owners are considered a mini-system admin over just a part of the website. They have the right to create new pages, move existing pages, set the feature column on pages, create new pages, and modify existing pages. They can approve authors work within their assigned area.
- Modules: Owners can be assigned rights to a module or to a specific category. Owners with rights to a module can create new module categories, new module items and modify existing items. They can approve authors work within their assigned area. Owners with rights to a category can change properties, as well as edit and approve authors work within their assigned area (Example to have a category owner: bids or jobs).
- Pages: A publisher has the right to edit pages and create new pages (Publishers are restricted to areas of the website that the System Administrator chooses). Once ready this rights level has the ability to publish to the live website. The publisher can unpublish pages but cannot delete. Can approve authors work within their assigned area.
- Modules: The publisher has the right to create and modify items within the modules then publish them to the live site. (Publishers are restricted to the categories the admin chooses). The publisher can unpublish module items but cannot delete. Can approve authors work within their assigned area.
- Pages: The author has the right to edit pages and create new pages (Authors are restricted to areas of the website that the System Administrator chooses). When they edit or create a new page they must submit it for approval before the changes are made to the live website.
- Modules: The author has the right to create new items in the modules. New items must be submitted for approval before they are made to the live website. Authors cannot make changes to published module items. To make changes, the item must be unpublished.