Before an agenda can be created a Category must be created to house the agenda. It is recommend that each group using the Agenda Center have its own category.
- In the right side menu column, in the dark blue Categories box, select Add Category
- The Category creator will open.
- The tabs across the top of the page allow access to the different agenda creation and customizing sections. Using these default items will aid the ease and speed of each subsequent agenda for that category. Each tab will be discussed in the follow sections.
Basic Category set up is under the Properties tab. Due to the size of this page, each section will be broken down and described below.
- Name is the name of the agenda category that appears on the Agenda Center page on both the front and back end of your site.
- Description is the description that appears for this agenda category on the public side of your CivicPlus site in the Notify Me section. This is to give the public a brief description of the category they are requesting agenda information. This section may also be used to set expectations when notifications will go out. This section has a maximum of 255 characters.
- Email List allows the public to receive email notifications when a new agenda is posted.
- Allow Subscribers allows the public to subscribe for auto notifications in Notify Me.
- Allow SMS will send text messages to the subscribers. The users text rate will apply.
- Note: For more information about auto notifications, please see the Notify Me manual in CivicPlus University.
- Heading creates the category headers that appear on both the back and front end of the Agenda Center Module.
- Select the Category Header from the dropdown selections.
- If the Category Heading you wish to use does not appear, select Other from the drop down list. A text box will appear so a new category heading title can be entered.
- Note: an example of these Headings as they appear on the back end and live site are shown on the next page. These may not be turned on by default for your site. Contact CivicPlus Customer Service to turn headings on, or off, so they can be seen, or not seen, both by you and the public. It is very important to note that if category headers are added after categories are created, categories could potentially be lost. Headings will not appear on the front end of your CivicPlus site if there is not a published agenda in that category.
- Pin this category to the top of the list in the public view will move the category, and any other category sharing the same header, to the top of the Agenda Center on the public side.
- Show Archives will create a Show Archive for the category on the back side of your CivicPlus site allowing you to see all revisions of each agenda.
- Associated Archive Category use the drop downs to select the categories the published agendas and minutes may be copied to in the Archive Center. Each dropdown will contain all categories in the Archival Center.
- Rules & Alerts will create rules (reminders) for agenda items. For example, if an item has been submitted but not reviewed by the next person, the Agenda Center will generate an email directing an action. To create rules:
- Click Add New Rule to open the rule editor box.
- Select the number of Days, Weeks, or Months that if no action is taken on an agenda item an alert will be sent.
- In the “after” dropdown field, choose the item action associated with the rule
- item is submitted
- item is postponed
- item is declined
- item is returned to submitted
- In the “and” dropdown field, choose what will create an alert email.
- No Other Criteria, means to automatically send an email after the specified time and action.
- No Action Taken, after the agenda has been submitted, postponed or declined and there has been no action an email will be sent.
- To: enter the email address to be notified.
- Message: enter the message or instructions for the email recipient.
- Click Add New Rule to open another rule editor box for the creation of additional rules as needed.
- Permissions give access to the appropriate groups to the specific agenda category.
- Note: Permission Levels in the Agenda Center have differing abilities than in other modules on the CivicPlus site.
- Author has the permission to create agenda items to go in the agenda. The Author level does not have permission to create an agenda.
- Publisher can take the approved agenda items from the Authors, plus any default agenda items and create the agenda. The Publisher can only save and submit agendas for approval; the Publisher cannot publish completed agendas to the public site.
- Owners have admin rights for their group agenda categories. The Owner and System Administrator can publish a completed agenda to the front side of your site. Also the Owner has the right to override any workflow rules that have been created for that agenda category, if that selection was made in Permissions.
- Click Save when the category properties are complete.
The Default Content tab creates the Agenda Headers and Footers that will automatically display in each agenda for that category. The default headers and footers can be modified in each individual agenda as needed.
- In the text editor boxes type in the header and footer content desired. Use the editing tools in the text editing box for such items as uploading images, bolding text, or hyperlinks.
- Click Spell Check to identify and correct any spelling errors that may exist.
- When complete, click Save.
The Default Template for the Agenda Center will automatically be used as the default template the agenda category. To change the default template for the category use the same procedures starting on page 8 of this manual.
There are two additional items in creating the Category Default Agenda Template.
- Max Levels will restrict the number of sublevels for each agenda item. Using the drop down select between one and five sublevels.
- Reset to Module – level Default will restore the category default settings to those of the Agenda Center agenda default.
- Once the Category Default Agenda has been created click Save.
Custom Fields allows you to create additional fields to display when adding items within the category. Any additional custom fields that are populated on the Add Item screen will also appear on the agenda when you add the item to the agenda. You will have the option to make custom fields required and set populated drop down lists, radio button and checkbox fields.
- To add a custom field click Add a Field
- In the Name field type in the name or question for the field.
- Choose the type of answer field you want to use;
- Short Answer
- Long Answer
- Radio Buttons
- Note: The creation of dropdown, checkboxes and radio button fields are similar to each other. Therefore only dropdown will be shown, but the same process will apply to all.
- Select the answer type from Type dropdown menu
- Click on the desired type
- If Dropdown, Checkboxes or Radio Buttons are selected an Option field will open.
- Type in possible selections. To add additional selections click the plus sign next to the option box.
- If additional fields are needed click the plus sign next to the Required box.
- Click Save to add fields to the Add Agenda Item Page.
Default Email and SMS text messages can be created to notify the public once individuals have signed up in the Notify Me module. To see how to set up these messages see the Notify Me Manual in CivicPlus University.
Modifying an Agenda Category’s Preferences
From the Main Agenda Center Page, click the name of the Agenda Category to be modified.
- Across from the agenda category title is a gear icon. As your cursor goes over the icon the icon will change to Action. Click Action
- A window will appear with all the available actions. Click Modify to return to the Agenda Category’s preferences section.
- Note: To delete an agenda category, it must first be unpublished. Once the category is unpublished, Delete will become an option in the action window.